The Practitioner’s Class is based on the book, Positive Discipline in the Montessori Classroom, by Jane Nelsen and Chip DeLorenzo. The class is designed to help participants learn how to implement respectful, effective and time-tested methods of classroom management that reflect our deepest values as Montessori educators: mutual respect, cooperation, responsibility, empathy and independence.
During this experiential training, new and veteran educators and administrators will learn how to:
- Create a classroom community and social/emotional environment that will reduce misbehavior and foster normalization;
- Develop clear and consistent practices amongst the adults in their classrooms to meet behavioral challenges respectfully and effectively;
- Understand the roots of misbehavior in children;
- Empower children to be respectful, cooperative, and responsible members of the classroom community;
- Help children find a sense of belonging and significance in their classroom community;
- Effectively train assistants in classroom management;
- Develop school-wide practices that will help parents as well as teachers.
Chip DeLorenzo, an experienced Montessori educator with 25-years of experience in various positions from lead guide to head of school and Positive Discipline facilitator. This extraordinary team have a warm and clear delivery of practical solutions that expand your ability to respectfully guide children in ways that assist them in feeling a sense of belonging and significance, which in turn positively impacts their behavior and learning outcomes. Chip is a master storyteller, and his experiences in the Montessori classroom provide the backdrop for understanding and applying the Positive Discipline techniques effectively.
While there is no magic bullet for managing behavioral challenges, there are concrete principles and skills that can be learned by adults that will help develop respect and cooperation in the classroom, and effectively respond to misbehavior in a manner that helps children for the long-term. We hope you will join us for this workshop.